Thursday, February 20, 2014

Chelish Command and Privateer Press: Legion of Everblight

Again, another double-update of Skull and Shackles campaign info and painting toward my Privateer Press force. As usual, the campaign comes first. 

Skull and Shackles

Adversaries of Renown:
Vice-Admiral Delthretta Pavane is the current commander of the Chelish forces in the Arcadian Ocean. An elite fleshcrafter in training, when she set her eyes on commanding naval forces she soon rose to the top. Given the relative freedom of the seas and her absolute authority over her armada, the Vice-Admiral has pursued greater and greater devilish infusions into her body than would normally be seen among elites within Chelish borders. Plumbing the depths of fleshcrafting, she has transformed parts of her body with infernal power.

The darkness grows from within

As a sign of pride and command for her troops, the one thing she has refused to adjust is her peg leg--having lost it to a cannonball shot at the Battle of the Nine Coasts. Her sailors, many of whom have also been crippled in the course of battles, look to her example with a source of pride. 

All dressed up but no parties to attend

Vice-Admiral Pavane is the one behind the surge in Chelish fleets deploying great fleshcrafted beasts of war on their ships. This creature, a blend of sea monster and hellfire spitting devil, is but one of many creatures dispatched with teams of handlers to man Chelish vessels large, small, and in-between. 

Anyone got a breath mint?

These developments in the Chelish naval fleet have led to worrysome effects for the pirate residents of The Shackles. Not only do privateer crews need to prepare for the solid Chelish marines, but they never know when the hold of a pirate-hunter boat may belch forth one of these monstrosities. And if that were not enough, the other nations of Golarion have gotten word of the Chelish plans and are attempting to arm their ships in similar fashion. The great nation of Rahadoum, a somewhat uneasy competitor with Cheliax, has been rumored to be importing massive beasts of war to help supplement their own slave-driven ships. Even some free captains of The Shackles have taken to the practice. Rumors abound across Port Peril that Captain Barnabas Harrigan of the Wormwood keeps an Owlbear chained below decks for just such a purpose. 

Privateer Press

Two things have been added to my Legion of Everblight forces since the last update. First, the Warlock Absylonia, who is my preliminary commander. And the Ravagore, a heavy warbeast with a great shooting attack option for my force. 

Fire in the hole

I'm really pleased with how the painting has gone on these models, and the battlegroup is looking really tight in my eyes. The bigger beasts having the higher red-to-orange spectrum makes them eye-catching. Then the details can all be cooler colors in light shades, such as the light blue dress of Absylonia or the green fire from the Ravagore. 

I spent a lot of time getting the green fire color right... I'm proud

I've played my first few games of Privateer Press with this group, and so far I've split 1 and 1 at the 20 points size level. The first battle had some great infantry killing by my forces, but I bumbled control of an objective on a critical turn and ended up losing the game. Totally my fault, but it was a fun match. Second game I reversed the trend by using my lesser warbeast Shredders to help secure objective points--and the enemy took the bait and focused on my big beasties (who took a pounding) until it was too late.  

Absylonia's battlegroup thus far

In all, I'm pretty pleased with how the force is doing--particularly on the painting side. I'll be painting up the first infantry models of the force soon (as the Skull and Shackles game needs enemy "Chelish Marines" to fight), and I'm working on their battle engine as fast as I can manage. So far so good!

Legion of Everblight
Models Painted: 6
Points Painted: 25
Warlocks Painted: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment